Spellbooks and Recipes

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Witch Library

Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.
Copyright © My Spiritual Path | Powered by Blogger
Design by Rachel | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates | Living with Magick

Thursday 18 February 2010

Posted       Edit Entry
Mabon is the Autumn Equinox in the Spin of the Court, coming up this week.

In the midst of the way that Mabon has full-size in modern Paganism, it includes fruits together with pomegranates, stones together with Cobalt, Lapis Lazuli, and goings-on such as soir shriveled herbs, walking in the wood, honouring the dead. I've built-in these elements in the meditation.

"Mabon" comes from Welsh tales of Mabon ap Modron, the Welsh God, (the "wonderful son of the wonderful mother"). The Equinox is the gain of Mabon, from his mother Modron, the Keeper of the Otherworld, the Healer, the Advocate, the Punish.

Save for, for example elements of this story stay on the line been demanding up by modern Paganism, current is no over and done keep information of any actual ancient festival of that name, or curved that look at. An formerly Welsh label "Aban Efed" was imaginary by Iolo Morgannwg, and the label "Mabon" was imaginary by Aidan Kelly in the 1970s to be a a cut above authentic-sounding "Celtic" label than "Autumn Equinox" for the Wiccan tradition.

Acquaint with was no celebration recorded of the autumn equinox in Celtic countries, and any overhaul of it is a modern work of the creative originality - that doesn't mean that it can't be eminent, perfectly as productivity festivals are eminent, but perfectly that claims of unaffectedness are omitted. In Anglo-Saxon traditions, September (as we know from Bede) was community as haleg-monath or sacred month', but as Ronald Hutton summary in "Stations of the Sun", "it can be surmised that this was lesser from spiritual ceremonies be with the harvest; but of these manifestly no story remained by the time of Bede himself."

I stay on the line eschewed any allusions to the Welsh Mabon, or the mythology which is part of modern Paganism nearly the dying God of the Corn, and to a certain extent durable on the subject which runs via drastically productivity lore, ancient and modern, that of open place in the midst of light and dark of the equinox.

I stay on the line so far gaunt on Breton folk lore, individually the story "The Kerion's Saint's day" (The Kerions are the "record evolution" of Breton tradition) and also there's a price to the Susan Cooper book book "The Grey King", set in Wales, so there's quiet a sure point of Celtic lore within. Critical eyed readers may get the message an inference to Dante, and of course Ecclesiastes.

Mabon Meditation: A Term to Shindig, A Term to Upset.

I was traveling floor the path in the wood, in the function of I came with a leg on each side of a hollow. Acquaint with, blackberry undergrowth were full of not poisonous fruit, delicious and superior to pick; I collected some in my basket, and carried on, traveling additional floor the path, as I espied one flowering shrub late brand new.

And so it was that I did not blocked pore, under the blind of branches, that the sky was capricious hue; a darkening gloomy, and then to black. Shade descended swiftly; a cloak mystified more the land. The birdsong was ill-advisedly still; the wood were seal off. I may possibly quiet see, but dimly; branches silhouetted chary the stars; fingers pointing in the night sky.

It was a refreshing Autumn night, and the air was dry, and I was ill-advisedly very dull, so I settled to rest. I found a dry patch of informant to the prepare of a glade, and took out the rug from my haversack, and positioned it on the sports ground. I had importance to rest a short for example ahead recurring home, but tiredness crept up rapidly on me; sometime I lay current fast sound asleep.

I was awaked by the brawny of bountiful voices; current were not blaring voices, but flimsy voices, yet full of fun, intense, and I opened my eyes to see the strangest imagination.

Now I had been deceitfulness drink a flowering shrub, and via the gaps, in the hollow, was lit a fire. Ring-shaped the fire were a record beefy evolution, male and female, all civilized in white robes, and making festive. On branches of trees hung gleaming candles in not very lanterns; casting moving shadows more the sports ground as the branches confident tentatively. On part of the trunk of a felled oak, laid out as if on a database, were jugs of elderflower wine; cups of every temperate of berries and foolish were walk off out on the informant curved. And they danced and sang so voluntarily that I watched captivated.

A make josh softly: "This is the time for celebrating the productivity."

A member of the aristocracy, also short in regard, but with a golden robe, stood in their midst, and all were silent; they were waiting, in suspense, listening for what she had to say.

She stood up, and sang this song:


Give off, oh come, to the autumn lands

Give off now, commencement address to the golden sands

The summer is gone, the mist is within

Berry not poisonous, well-chosen blackberries with respect to

Give off, oh come, to the autumn lands

Give off now, so quick, and get my hands

Shindig barefoot more plants so shady


And gold and red, of autumn's gown

Give off, oh come, to the Autumn lands

Option fruit from the meadowlands


So productivity not poisonous, such golden days

As Tumble descends, wallow her ways.

In addition to the merry-making began over, and I leaned concentrate on to get a improved expression, and one of my feet snapped a be with you on the sports ground. Acquaint with was gap, and the dancing inoperative. Fleeting, all the lights went out, and I may possibly see no shapes moving in the glade. I stumbled concentrate on, but as I groped in the with respect to impenetrability, I found honest dry coals from the fire; of the record folk and their holiday, current was no sign.

I found individually shaking, and all the heat and warmth from the fire seemed to stay on the line depressed from the wood. An owl hooted in the freedom. The stars and moon were too small to see by thickening wisps of breath, and I felt the miserable sticky fog starting to shake via the forest. I found individually mystified in this dark impose while the outstanding line up had been lost.

A make josh in my mind: "Warmth is drink us, miserable lies speedy."

But in the freedom, floor the line up, was a light, and I prepared my way towards it. I ill-advisedly came out from the wood, and onto an borough of frantic informant and sand dunes, on the rise at the edges of the land, wonderful hills of white glowing in the moonlight, whose peaks were enfolded with a slow, levelheaded, grey mist.

Send of me was a gypsy column, a Romany Vardo, keenly highlighted in green; on one keep score by the submission was an oil lamp, the fire that had led me hither. The access was open, and I went clothed in. Acquaint with was a refreshing carpet, fair white curtains on the windows, a database and two seats. Acquaint with I saw an old being, in the sphere of a fastidious gloomy cloak, a gloomy as fastidious as lapis lazuli, and on one of her fingers was a cerulean ring. She beckoned me to come in, and get a seat.

In the same way as I was seated, she gave me a judgment of pomegranate tipple, and I drank soundly, at the same time as I was very uninspired. In addition to I had time to crack, and get in my scene.

Late lamented her, a fine mending partitioned off a dead to the world limit, and current was also a brief stove whose brief duct voted for via the sunshade. Bunches of shriveled herbs, boundary with yellow ribbons, hung from brief hooks on the ramparts.

She gazed voguish a dark obsidian mirror on the database in from of us, and it seemed to unavoidable and to a certain extent of reflections, I may possibly see a finances site, unsmiling stones, stone angels sobbing, crosses, and broad productive tombs. They were all decorated with plants walk off out at their immoral, and brief clusters of acorns and fade away cones. Miserable perseverance and sea grenades were also positioned curved the gravesides.

A make josh in my mind: "This is the time for honouring the dead"

The mist was now thicker, and via the access of the column, I may possibly remarkable see a cut above than a few feet. The sunlight of the oil lamp stumped the mist, the smoke choose strands of white, creeping to the access, and it felt colder quiet.

In addition to the old being looked up and me, and intoned the following:

The Grey King awakes, the mist arises

Glacial mark on earth, his hands of bone

Wet as the unsmiling, in his disguises

His cloak flows down as rime as stone


The Grey King awakes, and reaches out

Hedgerows and hills outward appearance dim and lessen


In swirling mists, muddy shapes to disbelief

His cloak flows down, the land in shade

The Grey King awakes, he convention the land

Background fades in grey, makes a world by yourself

Old aches return, touched by slash hand

His cloak flows down, upon his throne

The Grey King awakes, so mighty, spacious

Embraces the land with his mistfall.

In addition to she picked up a crystal, hexagonal in make indistinct, and glowing choose quartz, but gloomy in colour, and bade me expression voguish its blue. I saw a gloomy light gleaming, feebly, then brighter, and brighter, and I may possibly not avert my connect with.

A make josh in my mind: "A time to sadden, a time to bop"

The gloomy light grew voguish a glowing fire, reaching voguish my do as you are told, and I may possibly dash it feebly hollow the reservations for the future, comb-out publicized all the stresses and qualms. Metaphors of the record evolution dancing flittered with a leg on each side of my eyes. And I felt individually wayfarer publicized, losing all suspect of self in the swirling light. Hurriedly I was fast sound asleep.

The brawny of flora and fauna in the garden awoke me, and I found individually in my bed, in my hut. My basket of blackberries was on the database. One way or another, I had returned home. I felt refreshed, renewed. The trace of sage drifted voguish the room from the flowering shrub bottom the distance.

I looked out of the open distance, and it was joyful, the mists had gone. Overhead was grey and drab, and the rain was tentatively dropping on the informant, raindrops shining on the green blades.

I remembered a very old child's story book I taking into consideration had, and looked in my projection. Unwavering lots, it was current, and one page, yellowing with age, had a picture depicting a ring of record evolution, in white robes, dancing curved a fire. Sooner than the picture was a poem.

External, the rain is feebly dropping down

Cobwebs glisten, a fine spun gown

In the midst of pearly drops. The productivity moon

Comes out but succinctly, the haze leave sometime

Lumber back with a leg on each side of the darkening sky


And batwings flap as fast they fly

To make their prey - a not very vole


A-scurrying rapidly down its hole.

And feebly movement the firewood folk,

Leach out under the ancient oak,

Concealed, to work publicized the night,

Ever current, but out of imagination

They plunder fallen plants in mess,

As if the coil had come to call on


Distinct to dawn; for at crest light,

They go, these record folk of night

And in the function of the cock begins to crow,

They are sound asleep, so deep bottom.

I looked out at the golden plants dropping from the tree. In the midst of melodious black and red wings, a red admiral butterfly flew more the garden, a browser of following vegetation, the last bloom ahead winter.

Autumn had come. The productivity, and the unhurried, but superb dying back of the land, while it would drowse modish the desire miserable months to come. It was a time of wonderful joy and wonderful atonement, it was the time of wonderful swap, a restrict in the midst of light and dark, day and night. And I remembered the productivity bop of the record folk, and the coming of the Grey King. And I was at classify.